Thursday, March 26, 2009

darn new-fangled gizmos!

This is for Staci, who amusingly blogged last month about "signs of the times". (I realize now that I never thanked her for not quantifying her "older gentleman" as being like...50!)

Anyhow, while stopped at a light an older gentleman in a beat-up Ford pick-up truck pulled up next to her, "wearing a red plaid flannel shirt, a cowboy hat, and had a scruffy white beard. He looked like he’d just gotten finished feeding the cows and had to run ‘into town’ for a few things"...her illusion was broken when he pulled out his blackberry and started texting away. As she said "Oldsters with gadgets and gizmos?!! It’s just not right."

And now I am wondering if she might have meant me also:o

My new gizmo is a Samsung Memoir and I am loving it. Got the camera figured out, e-mail is working way to well, got my web page up and running - I am connected; life is good. Mostly.

Embarassingly enough I apparently can't figure one of the most basic functions on the telephone - the call list! For a couple of weeks I have been calling back to friends, family and work asking if they had called - always receiving "no" as an answer. "But, my phone has you listed as calling." Still, "I/we didn't call."

Well last week I had a little time on my hands while hanging out in the hospital waiting room so, I played around with my phone. I know I shouldn't admit this; I should just let it pass and not let my ineptitude to work a phone be made public. But, life is way too serious and if we can't laugh at ourselves, we've got it all wrong...I discovered that the call list was listing ALL the calls on my phone - incoming, outgoing, missed. So, I kept "returning" calls to people that I had just called!

Maybe there should be age appropriate markings on cell phone boxes - like toys have on them. Of course, if that were the case, I'd be carrying around a rotary (Staci is probably too young to know what that is!)

3 comments:

  1. Too funny Marcy! I am glad you got your phone figured out.

    P.S. What's a rotary? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A rotary on which I only needed to dial the FIVE numbers! (small town!)

    I'd have a typewriter, so I could still hear the 'ding' and use the carriage return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I was all about the rotary phone in junior high... with the cord that would only let me walk 3 feet away from the phone?!! Oh, and did I mention it was a party line?!! (small town ;)

    ReplyDelete