Sunday, March 8, 2009

Mush!

To Staci and Shanda:

I promise I sat down today to blog and sure enough, I got sidetracked!!!

The Iditarod re-start was today and I was going to write about how amusing I thought it was that there are NO Texans entered in the race (go figure!). Texans are everywhere. Yet, not ONE is in the race - do you think it's a snub because Texans don't want to acknowledge that something is bigger than Texas - like ALASKA?

I never have embraced that "everything is bigger in Texas" adage...

Montana definitely has a bigger sky - truly. I've seen it and it's on their license plates, "Big Sky Country" (who can argue?).

I won't even begin to list the states that have bigger mountains - in other states they consider Texas "mountains" foothills, if they would consider them at all.

Bigger people? Well, Houston is one of the most obese cities in America but, I don't think that was part of the "everything's bigger in Texas" momentum.

They do drive big cars down here, are known for their big oil money and have big hair. (Everybody had big hair in the 80's - we were living New Hampshire and I was working in Billerica and THEY had big hair - it's just that it's 2009 and Dallasites and Houstonians STILL have big hair!)

But, I'm rambling. I was...oh yes - I was in the biggest state in the Union. Alaska and the Iditarod. For the next 10+ days, I will be a fan, admirer, supporter - a "groupie"! And that's what happened today. I sat down at the computer to blog and started perusing everything Iditarod...it's also the biggest dog sled race in the world.

2 comments:

  1. I have to side with you on this Marcy (even If I end up on the couch). The first time I went to 'lake' I remember thinking this is a lake?

    ReplyDelete