Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I think I have a lung problem...

actually, I don't but, hear me out. I have just watched a special on a travel channel about the great lodges of the Rocky Mountains and now melancholy has set in...

I am most at peace in the mountains - even if I am screaming down the side of one, out of control, going 40 miles an hour. I do not prefer any specific mountains - I am pretty happy in any mountain range. But, let me emphasize the word "MOUNTAIN" - I'm talking rocky, snow-covered (or at least snow-topped!), 10,000+ feet mountains.

There's a bumper sticker that reads "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could" - that's how I feel about the mountains. I wasn't born in the mountains (I was born in San Francisco) and my family moved to Maryland and Kansas (sans mountains) until we finally ended up in Washington and surrounded by the Cascades and Olympics - at that is my home. And I miss it.

Now, before I drift even further from my original statement, I will explain why I think I have a lung condition. In the program, they pointed out that at the turn of the century (19th), people that had lung conditions traveled to the mountains because it was felt that the mountain air was healing. So...again...

"I think I have a lung condition."

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I DVR'ed that show....when I was younger, the Grand Tetons was a stop on a 4 week long car trip. We staying in the Jackson Lodge...breakfast by the windows looking at the sunrise on the mountains...horseback rides to Mirror Lake and Jenny Lake.

    I miss that so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have a lung problem too...

    Road Trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Name the day, Marce, and I'm with ya! I'll drive or shotgun....doesn't matter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also.

    Draperies

    ReplyDelete